Woodcliff Lake, NJ – BMW Motorrad proudly introduces the new 2024 BMW R 1300 GS. More than 43 years ago, BMW Motorrad established a new segment for touring enduros with the R 80 G/S. The boxer BMW GS has been the undisputed leader of the competitive field ever since. To ensure this remains the case in the future, BMW Motorrad has opted for an almost completely new design for the new R 1300 GS, with a weight saving of 26 lbs. compared to the previous model.
The center piece is the legendary two-cylinder boxer engine. Its new design is more compact than ever before thanks to a gearbox located under the engine and a new camshaft drive arrangement. From exactly 1,300 cc it produces 145 hp at 7,750 rpm and 110 lb-ft. of torque at 6,500 rpm. This makes it by far the most powerful BMW boxer engine ever to be produced in series.
At the center of the new suspension is the steel, sheet metal shell main frame, which in addition to being significantly optimized in terms of space, also offers higher levels of stiffness than the predecessor model. For the rear frame, the previous tubular steel structure has now been replaced with a die-cast aluminum unit. The new EVO Telelever front suspension with flex element and the revised EVO Paralever rear suspension also provide greater steering precision and ride stability.
- New 1,300 cc boxer engine delivering 145 hp and 110 lb-ft of torque.
- New frame and suspension. 26 lbs. lighter than predecessor.
- New technology including Adaptive Vehicle Height Control.
- MSRP $18,895 plus Destination
- Estimated Market launch early 2024.
“With the new BMW R 1300 GS we will once again take the competition by surprise. It is defined by an even broader spread of product substance, while the reduction in complexity and vehicle weight, combined with focused equipment, enable the essence of the boxer GS to be showcased even more strikingly. With a new engine, outstanding handling, and impressive ride qualities, it will set the pace both on and off the road.”
– Thilo Fuchs, Head of Water-cooled Boxer Models.
• Unique R 1300 GS features
- Completely new boxer engine with bottom-mounted gearbox and BMW ShiftCam technology for varying the valve timing and valve stroke on the intake side.
- Most powerful BMW boxer engine ever.
- 145 hp at 7,750 rpm and 110 lb-ft at 6,500 rpm.
- Powerful response across the entire rpm range, exemplary fuel consumption, emission levels, smoothness, and refinement.
- Completely redesigned frame with sheet metal shell main frame and die-cast aluminum rear section.
- Greater steering precision and ride stability thanks to new EVO Telelever with flex element and revised rear wheel guide EVO Paralever.
- Weight reduction of 26 lbs. compared to the previous model.
- Standard BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS Pro.
- Standard four riding modes.
- Optional Riding Modes Pro with additional riding modes.
- Standard Dynamic Traction Control (DTC), Engine Drag Torque Control (MSR), Dynamic Brake Assist (DBC) and Hill Start Control (HSC).
- Optional Electronic Dynamic Suspension Adjustment (DSA) with dynamic adjustment of the damping, spring rate, and load compensation.
- Optional adaptive vehicle height control and sports suspension.
- New standard matrix LED headlamp.
- Optional Headlight Pro with adaptive turning light.
- Standard hand protectors with integrated turn signals.
- Standard lithium-ion 12v battery with Battery Guard (function via BMW Motorrad Connected App).
- Standard Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC).
- Optional Riding Assistant with Active Cruise Control (ACC), Front Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Change Warning (SWW).
- Standard smartphone charging compartment with integrated USB socket and additional 12 V on-board power socket.
- Optional seat heating for rider and passenger for enhanced touring suitability.
- Optional handlebar riser by up to 30 mm / 1.2 inches.
- Wide range of available seat heights.
- Connectivity: standard multifunctional instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-color TFT screen.
- Standard RDC, Keyless Ride and heated grips.
- Standard Intelligent Emergency Call.
- Extensive range of optional equipment and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.
1. Engine and Drivetrain
“With a noticeable increase in power and torque combined with significantly reduced weight and a very compact design, the newly designed boxer engine is the perfect drivetrain for the new R 1300 GS and a genuine milestone in the 100-year history of BMW Motorrad.” – Christof Lischka, Head of Development BMW Motorrad.
- Newly developed boxer engine with improved power and torque, optimized for smoothness and efficiency.
- New gearbox is now located below the engine for more compact packaging and reduced weight. New driveshaft and rear axle.
- BMW ShiftCam technology for superior performance and smoothness as well as excellent fuel consumption and emissions.
- Lightweight stainless steel exhaust system for optimum performance and weight.
- Four riding modes including “Enduro” mode for an enhanced off-road riding experience.
- Riding Modes Pro with additional riding modes is optional. Engine drag torque control (MSR) and riding mode pre-selection is standard.
“Another thing we wanted to achieve with the new BMW R 1300 GS was to stop the trend of getting bigger and bigger – and in fact we managed to reverse this trend. Our team achieved a significant reduction in weight and dimensions, resulting in an extremely focused and lean GS. The bike’s engineering is packaged as compactly as possible using innovative design and manufacturing methods.” – Jochen Beck, Project Manager BMW R 1300 GS.
- Completely new developed chassis with steel sheet metal shell main frame and aluminum rear frame section.
- The best of both worlds: new front EVO Telelever with flex element and new rear EVO Paralever for even greater steering precision and ride stability.
- New optional electronic Dynamic Suspension Adjustment (DSA) with dynamic adjustment of the damping, spring rate and load compensation.
- Available adaptive vehicle height control and sports suspension.
- Powerful braking system with Integral ABS Pro and Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) as standard. Available cast forged or cross-spoke wheels.
- Excellent ergonomics for off-road use thanks to optional 1.2-inch handlebar riser.
“With the new Riding Assistant featuring Active Cruise Control, Front Collision Warning and Lane Change Warning, we offer a safety package in the new R 1300 GS that is unprecedented in this segment.” – Markus Hamm, Functional Development Control Systems BMW Motorrad.
- New standard matrix full LED headlamps, state-of-the-art LED light units all round with turn indicators integrated in the hand protectors. Optional adaptive turning light “Headlight Pro”.
- Riding Assistant with Active Cruise Control (ACC), Front Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Change Warning (SWW) (SWW) for safe and comfortable motorcycling.
- Optional Comfort rider seats and seat heating for rider and passenger for enhanced travel and touring.
- Standard on-board power and USB socket along with ventilated smartphone charging compartment and lightweight lithium-ion12v battery.
- Connectivity: multifunctional 6.5-inch full-color TFT screen.
- Standard Intelligent Emergency Call for further increased safety.
- Standard Service Assistant for automatic notification when service work is due and for information to be sent to the BMW Motorrad Connected App.
“In the new BMW R 1300 GS we’ve focused on honing the GS concept even further. The new design is defined by integration and modularity, thereby offering optimum performance and functionality for all riders. The components have been arranged as efficiently as possible to achieve an integrative architecture and stunning looks – entirely in the tradition of the legendary GS flyline.” – Christian Hahn-Wörnle, Vehicle Design BMW R 1300 GS.
The new BMW R 1300 GS comes with the pure GS package and the variants Triple Black, GS Trophy and Option 719 Tramuntana.
- Ultimate Care break-in service included.
- 1,300 cc air/liquid cooled boxer motor with BMW ShiftCam technology.
- 6-speed transmission with wet anti-hopping clutch and Cardan driveshaft.
- 6.5-inch TFT display with enhanced Connectivity.
- Heated grips.
- Keyless Ride (steering, ignition and fuel tank lock).
- Tire Pressure Monitor TPM.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC.
- Engine Drag Torque Control MSR.
- Dynamic Brake Assist DBC.
- Hill Hold Control HSC.
- BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS Pro.
- Cruise control DCC with brake function.
- Matrix LED Headlight
- Four Ride Modes
- LiO 12v battery with Battery Guard.
- 12v power socket.
- Hand protectors with integrated turn indicators.
- Smartphone charging compartment with integrated USB-A socket.
- Intelligent Emergency Call.
Optional Equipment includes Premium Package, Comfort Package, Enduro Package Pro and Individual Options.
For more information about the new 2024 BMW R 1300 GS, visit www.bmwusanews.com.
About BMW Group in America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand of motor vehicles, including motorcycles, the MINI brand, and Rolls-Royce Motor Cars; Designworks, a strategic design consultancy based in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is the BMW Group global center of competence for BMW X models and manufactures the X3, X4, X5, X6 and X7 Sports Activity Vehicles as well as the BMW XM. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 350 BMW passenger car and BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers,146 BMW motorcycle retailers, 104 MINI passenger car dealers, and 38 Rolls-Royce Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW Group’s sales headquarters for North America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.