A battery designed by Hyundai will be mounted on the All-New Santa Fe Hybrid. On behalf of Hyundai Motor’s IONIQ 5 N Tech Day held yesterday in Seoul, Hyundai executives not only talked about IONIQ 5 N, but also talked about the 4th generation battery pack for hybrid vehicles they were under development in-house almost two years.
Regarding this new battery, that will be premiered in the 5th generation Santa Fe recently released, “We plan to put a self-designed battery on the recently released 5th generation Santa Fe hybrid. Based on the battery design capabilities accumulated in this process, the Ioniq 5 N was also successfully launched.”
Hyundai Motor Group and SK Innovation announced back in 2021 that they would be teaming up to develop hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) batteries. Hyundai Motor signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with SK On and has been jointly developing a hybrid battery cell. In the process, Hyundai was responsible for the design and evaluation of the battery cell, and SK is said to be responsible for the mass production technology and production.
“Hyundai Motor Co., Ltd. took the lead in verifying the battery material, specification and design, product evaluation and performance improvement to achieve optimal performance, and “This has enabled us to build a new partnership between automakers and battery companies,” a Hyundai executive said.
According to Hyundai on the 15th, 55% of the contractors of the new mid-size SUV Santa Fe (‘The All-New Santa Fe’, which was launched last month, chose a hybrid model instead of the remaining 45% who picked up a gasoline model. The gasoline model has been in consumer shipments since last month, and the hybrid model is expected to begin its first shipment later next month.