Aston Martin give update on Stroll condition
Aston Martin Team Principal Mike Krack said Lance Stroll was withdrawn from pre-season testing ‘for precautionary reasons’ after sustaining an injury.
However, Krack would not comment on the severity of the Canadian’s situation, or whether he would be forced to sit out next weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix.
It was revealed on Monday that Stroll would miss this week’s three-day pre-season test session after sustaining what Aston Martin called a ‘minor injury’ while cycling in Spain.
“[Stroll] was training, trying to work on his fitness last week, he was cycling and he had a small incident and hurt himself, so for precautionary reasons, we decided that it’s better to wait a little bit and be ready [for the Bahrain Grand Prix] next week,” Krack told media, including RacingNews365.com, after the morning session of pre-season testing’s first day in Bahrain.
“This is his personal [issue]. He’s injured on the hand, on the wrist, but I don’t want to go into detail because this is also privacy.”
Drugovich called up for testing
With Stroll absent, Aston Martin have called up the team’s test and reserve driver Felipe Drugovich to substitute, with the Brazilian taking the wheel of the AMR23 during Day 1’s morning session and completing 40 laps.
While the team’s new race driver Fernando Alonso is set to take over in the afternoon session, Krack said the team had yet to decide how they would divide up the remaining two days of testing duties.
“[Drugovich] did the morning session today, and this is something you have to do as a team, to cover all eventualities,” said Krack.
“We haven’t made the final decision yet, how we are going to go for the next two days. This we will decide in the [coming] hours.”