Red Bull expect the fuel pressure problems which put both Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez out of the Bahrain Grand Prix will not recur this weekend.
The team came away from the opening race of the season with no points after Verstappen retired with three laps to go having run second behind Charles Leclerc throughout the race. Then, on the final lap, Perez’s power unit seized at the first turn, sending him spinning out of the race and a potential podium place.
After the race, team principal Christian Horner confirmed that the problem suffered by both cars was one they had not experienced during pre-season testing.
“It’s something that we haven’t seen previously,” Horner said after Sunday’s race. “It looks suspiciously like the failures are related to each other. Looks like potentially an issue within the fuel system.”
The failures led to speculation that Red Bull could see a similar problem this weekend at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix. However, in a statement released by the team this morning, Red Bull said that they do not expect the problem to affect them again at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit, and also dismissed rumours the team had not put enough fuel in the cars.
“Both cars suffered from a lack of fuel pressure last weekend,” the statement read. “The correct amount of fuel was in both cars, but a vacuum prevented the pumps from drawing fuel and delivering it to the engine.
“We’ve taken the necessary steps to correct this issue and we expect no problems this weekend.”
Red Bull sit last in the constructors’ championship following their double retirement in Bahrain. Rivals Ferrari sit atop the standings with a maximum score of 44 points from the first round, with Mercedes in second place, 17 points behind Ferrari after Lewis Hamilton and George Russell finished third and fourth.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix
Browse all 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix articles