Restraint systems in BMW are designed to ensure the safety of the vehicle occupants in the event of a car accident. This system reduces impact during a collision by absorbing and decreasing a crashing vehicle’s force and secures the passenger to reduce the accident’s impact.
Restraint system failure is a common problem faced by BMW drivers. This problem arises as a result of low battery voltage or faulty passenger occupancy sensors. The fact that this is a common problem in BMWs doesn’t make dealing with it any better or easier. If your BMW is suffering from a restraint failure, be rest assured. This article has got you covered with the relevant information you need.
Causes of Restraint System Failure
When a system fails, it simply means that something out of the norm has occurred. Let’s take a look at possible factors that can trigger restraint system failure:
- A faulty airbag module: The airbag electronic crash unit, also known as the SRS airbag module, controls the airbag’s deployment, saves accident data, and communicates with the car’s engine. It utilizes impact sensors to tell the severity of a collision. Once the system detects sufficient deceleration, it goes into action in 20 If the force of the impact is low, the control module may deploy the seatbelt pretensioners only and display restraint system malfunction on the dashboard. A faulty airbag module may cause a miscalculation in its function, invariably leading to restraint system failure.
- A defective seat belt tensioner: This is also a cause of restraint system failure. When a collision or quick stop occurs, it is supposed to tighten up any slack in the textile webbing. When it becomes defective, it may cause the restraint system to fail.
- Water damage: The restraint system employs sensors for proper functionality. When the sensors are exposed to liquid, it affects its functionality, causing the system to fail.
Other triggers include defective clock spring, passenger occupancy sensor, damaged BTS cable, wire harness, and belt force limiter.
Signs of a Failing Restraint System
When your restraint system is failing or malfunctioning, your car will give some signs alerting you of this development. Here are some signs that can help you out:
- Warning messages will pop on your dashboard and can be in the form of “driver restraint system malfunction” or “passenger restraint system malfunction.” The passenger restraint system is limited and poses an increased risk of injury in the case of a collision. When you notice this sign in your BMW, carefully drive to the nearest service center to rectify the issue.
- Your airbag light stays on: While other issues can trigger this light, your airbag light may come on while someone is seated due to restraint system failure. This light tells you that your airbags are unresponsive and may not deploy in the event of a collision.
How to Deal With a Faulty Restraint System in a BMW
Mechanical parts, such as brake lights, the clutch, and your transmission must be in good order, as well as safety measures. This is important because in dire cases where collisions are unavoidable, the restraint system can minimize collision impact on the vehicle’s occupants.
Dealing with a defective restraint system can be scary and frustrating, especially when you do not have so much knowledge of it. The best way to handle this problem is to visit an expert mechanic. Your BMW restraint system is not something you want to entrust to an inexperienced mechanic.
Ultimate Bimmer Services: The Leading Repair Shop For Your BMW Needs
At Ultimate Bimmer Service, our ASE-certified mechanics have decades of experience working on BMW’s. We provide drivers throughout Carrolton and Dallas, TX, with affordable and reliable service for complete BMW maintenance. Our ASE-certified technicians employ the latest factory-grade tools and equipment available to ensure precision of execution.
We are focused on only BMW’s and stay entirely up to date about its repairs and maintenance. For decades, we’ve been the go-to service center for BMW owners in Dallas and the surrounding cities of Denton, Frisco, Irving, Richardson, and Plano.
At Ultimate Bimmer Service, we are dedicated to ensuring absolute customer satisfaction. Please call or visit our shop today to schedule your next appointment.